Tuesday, March 16, 2010

From Seeds To Trees

It appears like the addition of new classes to my schedule has unfortunately paused my writing about all of my many teaching adventures each day. It's something I hope to correct. In any case, it's a new day with a new lesson! Daylight Savings may have taken away an hour of time but it certainly didn't take the spring out of the steps of my students.

This afternoon, while doing a cool down, I had the kids make their bodies into seeds and then stretch into trees. One replied, once she had grown, "I'm a cuddle tree and I'm here to cuddle you!" All of the kids yelled, "me too!" and proceeded to wrap their tiny arms around my legs. It was nothing short of pure magic. Upon smiling and soaking up their love, I started to wonder if life's cruelest joke is that we are born to grow up. How complicated the world can seem once we start to "branch out" and abandon the simplicities of our small seeds. We often intertwine ourselves in serious matters knowing we're rooted and unable to move away with the humor and youthful grace of our past. It's so easy to lose the easiness.

Luckily though, I suppose, it's possible to grow up in good company. Fine fellow trees to make your acquaintance and help you to reach for that next thing. And fortunately for me, I'm in a forest with little cuddle trees. Who help remind me that while I had to get older I still have the ability to come down for additional lessons on how to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment