Thursday, March 18, 2010

Strawberry Ambitions



After the excitement of Saint Patrick's Day, my preschoolers and I started off our days in a similar pattern. Sleepy. Them because of vivid dreams of gold, leprechauns, and green gleams; me because of late nights and Irish inspired beverages. Anyway, as always, we were a charming match.

Along with learning today that leprechauns are purple in real life and disappear if you blink, the children shared their hopes for the future. The best came from one of my favorite kids. A tiny tomboy of a little girl who delights me with her unexpected comments. Today, she gave me this treasure: "when I grow up I want to be a strawberry gummy bear." She later told me that there was a snake in the room that wanted to bite me, take me back to his house, and read him a story. (And I was like, "ugh, really snake? Are you going to buy me dinner first or what?" Nah, just kidding. I don't date snakes.)

Well, to me, this gal is as sweet as candy and small so she's practically achieved the big goal. But it's a lovely aspiration to strive to, isn't it? And just like a leprechaun, the idea may be gone in a blink... So on the day after the day we praised Patrick for ridding Ireland of snakes (though they clearly probably left in search of a nice gal who could read to them...) I've learned once again to hold on tight to your hopes for yourself. Let them be delicious and plentiful and don't stop until they've at least given you a sugar high.

No comments:

Post a Comment