Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Final Cheers



Another day. Another goodbye.

Today I had to wave farewell to the group I've come to love (how could one not fall in love with being cheered every time you enter the room to do theatre?) and enjoy one last class in the Mission.

I spent it with the youngest students and I tried to fill the day with some of their favorite games and activities. We constructed a magic boat to take us to the beach, we read and acted out "Where The Wild Things Are", and took turns picking new animals to become.

At the end of our time I sighed and thanked them for the fun class. Suddenly, they all turned into little adults. One tiny little girl said, "Teacher Ashley, that was a very enjoyable class. I'm sad it's over." and another small boy plainly piped in, "Aw. I will really miss you this summer." My heart expanded to the point of bursting and then they returned to their silly wiggly ways. I brought them back to their teachers as they continued to be dinosaurs. As I walked out, I promised myself that if I found myself feeling sad I simply need to remember my Mission T-Rex cheerleaders as their strength to restore my spirits will never be extinct. Take that dinosaurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment